Family Law Facilitator (FLF)

A family law facilitator is a lawyer with experience in family law who works for the superior court in your county to help parents and children for free.

The family law facilitator gives you educational materials that explain how to:

  • Establish parentage (paternity); and
  • Get, change, or enforce child, spousal, or partner support orders.

The family law facilitator can also:

  • Give you the court forms you need;
  • Help you fill out your forms;
  • Help you figure out support amounts; and
  • Refer you to your local child support agency, family court services, and other community agencies that help parents and children.

The family law facilitator in your county may be able to help you in other ways, too. Some family law facilitators can help you with divorce, child custody, domestic violence, and other family law issues.
Working with the family law facilitator

  • The family law facilitator is not your lawyer. He or she works for the court and is a lawyer who can help parents or children who do not have their own lawyer.   If you already have a lawyer, the family law facilitator cannot help you.
  • You do not have attorney-client privilege with the family law facilitator. What you say to the family law facilitator is NOT confidential.
  • Both sides can get help from the family law facilitator.
  • The family law facilitator is free.  Anyone who does not have their own lawyer can see the family law facilitator. It does not matter how much money you make.

When you meet with the family law facilitator, take:

  • Your court case number(s).
  • A copy of any orders or judgment in your case(s). If you do not have your court documents, ask the court clerk for copies. The clerk will charge you a copying fee. The court clerk can also give you the court case number.
  • If you want help with child support, spousal support, partner support, or court fees, take the following information so the facilitator can better help you calculate support payments or fill out your court forms:
    • Your pay stubs for the last 2 months (or bank statements showing direct deposit of your paycheck),
    • Proof of unemployment benefits if you are not working,
    • Proof of income and expenses from self-employment, and
    • A copy of your most recent federal and state tax returns.

from California Courts

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]