Voter Bill of Rights
YOU HAVE THE FOLLOWING RIGHTS:
1. The right to vote if you are a registered voter. You are eligible to vote if you are:
- a U.S. citizen living in California
- at least 18 years old
- registered where you currently live
- not currently in state or federal prison or on parole for the conviction of a felony
- not currently found mentally incompetent to vote by a court
2. The right to vote if you are a registered voter even if your name is not on the list.
You will vote using a provisional ballot. Your vote will be counted if elections offcials determine that you are eligible to vote.
3. The right to vote if you are still in line when the polls close.
4. The right to cast a secret ballot without anyone bothering you or telling you how to vote.
5. The right to get a new ballot if you have made a mistake, if you have not already cast your ballot. You can:
Ask an elections offcial at a polling place for a new ballot,
Exchange your vote-by-mail ballot for a new one at an elections offce or at your polling place, or
Vote using a provisional ballot.
6. The right to get help casting your ballot from anyone you choose, except from your employer or union representative.
7. The right to drop off your completed vote-by-mail ballot at any polling place in California.
8. The right to get election materials in a language other than English if enough people in your voting precinct speak that language.
9. The right to ask questions to elections officials about election procedures and watch the election process.
If the person you ask cannot answer your questions, they must send you to the right person for an answer. If you are disruptive, they can stop answering you.
10. The right to report any illegal or fraudulent election activity to an elections offcial or the Secretary of State’s offce.
- On the web at www.sos.ca.gov
- By phone at (800) 345-VOTE (8683)
- By email at email@example.com
IF YOU BELIEVE YOU HAVE BEEN DENIED ANY OF THESE RIGHTS, CALL THE SECRETARY OF STATE’S CONFIDENTIAL TOLL-FREE VOTER HOTLINE AT
(800) 345-VOTE (8683).
from Alex Padilla
California Secretary of State